Information is Beautiful is the brainchild of David McCandless
David McCandless (born 1971) is a British data-journalist, and information designer based in London. He is the founder of the visual blog “Information Is Beautiful”. Early explorations into the synergy between data visualisation and his work as a journalist led to the development of Information Is Beautiful and the subsequent publication of his seminal book of the same name (US title ‘A Visual Miscellaneum’).
McCandless began his career writing for cult video game magazines such as Your Sinclair and PC Zone in the late 1980s and 1990s before moving on to work for The Guardian and Wired magazine. Since the publication of Information Is Beautiful in 2009, his information design work has appeared in numerous publications, including The Guardian, Wired, and Die Zeit, and has also been showcased at the Museum of Modern Art in New York, the Wellcome Trust gallery in London, and at the Tate Britain.
His second book Knowledge Is Beautiful was published in 2014.
- http://www.informationisbeautiful.net lots of great work on the front page – scroll down
- http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/about/ David McCandless
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_McCandless Wikipedia David McCandless
- http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/mountains-out-of-molehills/ mountains out of molehills
- http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/visualizations/making-data-out-of-art-a-short-film/ short film
- http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2010/the-beauty-of-data-visualization/ talk at TED
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=US4_jFpwJPo brilliant 1 minute film
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feE2R67gNOU another video from 2011
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsa_NwWnnFE new book Knowledge is Beautiful – he starts after 5 very boring minutes