- You are a guest of nature - behave.
- My painting is, I think, completely different because it is vegetative painting.
- One reason why other people do not want to paint vegetatively or want to take to a vegetative way of life is because it begins too unpretentiously, it does not have great eclat or drum roll; on the contrary it grows quite slowly and simply, and that does not appeal to our social order, people want instant results based on the slash and burn principle.
- I should like, and I do it too quite instinctively, to live an example, live an example to people, paint for them a paradise that each may have, he need only grasp it.
- Paradise is there, but we destroy it.
- I want to show how basically simple it is to have paradise on earth.
- And everything that the religions and dogmas and the various political creeds promise, is all nonsense.
- And there of course I come into conflict with society which completely misunderstands that.
- They believe that it is eccentricity, just a publicity stunt, but they forget that that is part of myself, that that is my natural form of expression.
- A person should be buried only half a meter, or two feet, below the surface. Then a tree should be planted there. He should be buried in a coffin that decays so that when you plant a tree on top the tree will take something out of his substance and change it into tree-substance. When you visit the grave you don’t visit a dead man, you visit a living being who was just transformed into a tree. You say, “This is my grandfather, the tree is growing well, fantastic.” You can develop a beautiful forest that will be more beautiful than a normal forest because the trees will have their roots in graves. It will be a park, a place for pleasure, a place to live, even a place to hunt.
- When we dream alone it is only a dream, but when many dream together it is the beginning of a new reality.
- Everyone should be able to build, and as long as this freedom to build does not exist, the present-day planned architecture cannot be considered art at all.
- The straight line leads to the downfall of humanity.
- Just carrying a ruler with you in your pocket should be forbidden, at least on a moral basis. The ruler is the symbol of the new illiteracy. The ruler is the symptom of the new disease, disintegration of our civilisation.
Friedensreich Regentag Dunkelbunt Hundertwasser, born December 15, 1928, died February 19, 2000) was an Austrian artist and architect. His real name was Stowasser, but because sto in Slavic languages, means "hundred", he changed his name to Hundertwasser. Of his other names, he was born Friedrich, but changed it to Friedensreich, which means “wealth of joy”, Regentag means “rainy day”, and Dunkelbunt menas “darkly multi-coloured”. He was well known for his playful eccentricity !
He stood out as an opponent of "a straight line" and any standardization, expressing this concept in the field of building design. His best known work is considered the Hundertwasserhaus in Vienna, Austria which has become a notable place of interest in the Austrian capital characterized by imaginative vitality and uniqueness. The KunstHaus Wien gallery is devoted to his work.
Apart from his architecture, he was most notably a print-maker, making screen prints with up to 50 screens for each print, and using an elaborate series of variations in the colours used for each screen, so that none of the eventual finished prints were identical. He was one of the first eco-warriors, and sailed the world in his ship the “Regentag”.
- https://www.kunsthauswien.com/en Kunst Haus Wien (Art House Vienna) is a house design by him and is the main exhibition of his works.
- http://www.hundertwasser.at/english/hundertwasser/hwueberhw.php Hundertwasser site
- http://www.hundertwasser.com/ and another ! (perhaps better !)
- http://www.hundertwasser-friedensreich.com/ and more – lots of people like him !
- http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/hundertwasser.html Artcyclopedia for other works worldwide