- Just as pure abstract art is not dogmatic, neither is it decorative.
- The rhythm of relations of color and size makes the absolute appear in the relativity of time and space.
- The position of the artist if humble. He is essentially a channel.
- Only conscious man can mirror the universal: he can consciously become one with the universal and so can consciously transcend the individual.
- To move the picture into our surroundings and give it real existence has been my ideal since I came to abstract painting.
- Art is the path to being spiritual.
- I think that the destructive element is too much neglected in art.
- I do not know how I shall develop, but for the present, I am continuing to work within ordinary, generally known terrain, different only because of a deep substratum, which leads those who are receptive to sense the finer regions.
- Let us note that art - even on an abstract level - has never been confined to 'idea'; art has always been the 'realized' expression of equilibrium.
- Things are beautiful or ugly only in time and space. The new man's vision being liberated from these two factors, all is unified in one unique beauty.
- It is not important to make many pictures but that I have one picture right.
Born 7 March 1872, died 1 February 1944, was a Dutch painter. Mondrian was a contributor to the De Stijl art movement and group, which was founded by Theo van Doesburg. He was heavily influenced by Theosophy and Rudolf Steiner’s ideas at this time.
Mondrian moved to Paris in 1911, and this marked the beginning of a period of profound change. He encountered experiments in Cubism and evolved a non-representational form which he termed neoplasticism. This consisted of white ground, upon which he painted a grid of vertical and horizontal black lines and the three primary colors.
With the rise of nazism, he finally left and went to the USA in 1938, where, despite his austere and priestly behaviour, he enjoyed rag-time music, and that influenced some of his later paintings.
Nowadays, every child in every school does at least one Mondrian painting !
http://www.theartstory.org/artist-mondrian-piet.htm nice webpage
http://www.mondriantrust.com/ The Mondrian trust
http://www.artcyclopedia.com/artists/mondrian_piet.html Artcyclopedia for which galleries worldwide have his works