- I just love dressing up in everything a man is supposed not to be, in all that vulnerability, sweetness, preciousness and impracticality.
- I can't resist having a joke. Artists I like, such as Breughel, put jokes in their work. I think it's part of reflecting human life.
- Creativity is mistakes.
- Artists should imprint their handwriting on the work, because if they give a piece to a fabrication studio, the craftsmen there may actually be too perfect; you don't see the quirks that the artist would have developed.
- I like the idea of my art being a covetable object; I like preciousness. A lot of art seems to flaunt its throw-away character... But you have to sail out into the dangerous sea of fine art with these crafted works.
Grayson Perry was born on 24 March 1960 in Chelmsford, Essex. He is an English artist, known initially for his ceramic vases, but he is also notable as a designer of large-scale tapestries, sculptures and map-making. Perry's vases have classical forms and are decorated in bright colours, often using the transfers used by commercial pottery companies, but adapted to his own purposes. He often depicts social issues and subjects which are at odds with the attractive appearance and grandeur of the scale of his pots.
There is a strong autobiographical element in his work – he is a cross-dresser and images of "Claire", his female alter-ego, and Alan Measles, his childhood teddy-bear often appear. His work often tells a story and explains a person or situation.
He has become the “Nation’s Favourite Artist” as he has fronted several series of televised programs of the “Social State of Britain” where he has investigated subjects such as the class system and masculinity (cage fighters, teen gangs, city traders) and then made works of art to commemorate and honour them, often large-scale (4x2m) tapestries from computer-generated adaptations of his drawings.
- http://www.victoria-miro.com/artists/12-grayson-perry/ his gallery
- http://www.channel4.com/programmes/grayson-perry-all-man Channel 4 series All Man