- What I claim is to live to the full the contradiction of my time, which may well make sarcasm the condition of truth.
- There is only one way left to escape the alienation of present day society: to retreat ahead of it.
- Literature is the question minus the answer.
- The New is not a fashion, it is a value.
- The bastard form of mass culture is humiliated repetition... always new books, new programs, new films, news items, but always the same meaning.
- The photographic image... is a message without a code.
- I call the discourse of power any discourse that engenders blame, hence guilt, in its recipient.
- The politician being interviewed clearly takes a great deal of trouble to imagine an ending to his sentence: and if he stopped short? His entire policy would be jeopardized!
- What the public wants is the image of passion, not passion itself.
Roland Barthes was born in Cherbourg on 12 November 1915, died 26 March 1980. He was a French literary theorist, philosopher, linguist, critic, and semiotician. Barthes' ideas explored a diverse range of fields and he influenced the development of schools of theory including structuralism, semiotics, social theory, design theory, anthropology and post-structuralism.
He was plagued by ill health throughout his life
- https://ceasefiremagazine.co.uk/in-theory-barthes-1/ A to Z of theory
- http://www.roland-barthes.org/ website
- http://www.roland-barthes.org/archives.html archive of his films and tapes
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUgJd2mS3LY 10 min film from 1973, Le Plaisir du Texte
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi8XM2b9048 10 min talk, 1957, Mythologies