When I started this site, I never thought there would be a history section – I’m not very interested in history books !
However, as I’ve gone along, I’ve realised that some of what I’ve written forms a strange sort of spiritual history, and I have put those pages in sequential order and copied them here from a range of different sections.
History of food production The exception is that I have added a major section on food, that was part of my dissertation project. Each page of this tells a similar story of rapid technical development since 1900, and this is in fact typical of nearly all human activities, where the world now would be almost unrecognizable to someone transported here from 1900. It is not so much about the spread of national cuisines like French and Chinese around the world, but about the way food is produced (especially in the UK). Nearly all aspects of human life have modernised and developed in a similar way, such as tractors, which barely existed in 1900, and have massively increased in power since then.
These pieces are mostly from other sections, except for the ones on food, which were originally part of another project, but they fit in well here. They are in approximate date order
- Flints show the development of consciousness (1 million BC onwards)
- Teeth, plaque and the microbiome in history (1 million BC onwards)
- Domestication and the Bengalese finch ( ? 10,000 BC onwards)
- History of sexuality from Foucault's books (ancient Greece to modern times)
- Overview of the spiritual ages (1875 to now) this is a whole section in the "Spirit Book" - I have only copied over the first page - the links thereafter are to the spirit section
- Theosophy and its offshoots (1875 to now)
- History of food production (1900 to now)
This is part of a major project I did and there are 12 main short sections. It is not so much about the spread of national cuisines like the French and Chinese around the world, but about tha way food is produced (especially in the UK). Nearly all aspects of human life have modernised and developed in a similar way to these sectors, such as tractors, which barely existed in 1900, and have gradually increased in power since then.
- The big historical picture - the original questions
- Imaginary starting point
- Food before 1900
- Tractors and farm equipment
- Pesticides, insecticides, fungicides
- Plant breeding
- Storage of crops
- The factory field - fields for an industrial process
- Animal feeds - what animals eat
- Animal health - old and new problems
- The animal factory - do animals live in factories now ?
- Food processing and preserving
- Food additives
- Summary and notes
- History of the New Age - (1960 to now ?)
- History of Findhorn - brief notes on its development (1962 to now)
- New movements - Greens, transition, occupy, extinction rebellion ....... etc.
and ........ perhaps I'll think of more
Note:- Since there are no satisfactory books on the history of the New Age or of Findhorn, or the Green movement, and since that I have lived through these myself, I thought I would write my own brief stories from my own perspective. Since some of them are part of my own spiritual path, I have included them first in the “Spirit > Personal Path” section, and also in the "Spirit > Spiritual History" section. Also, since what I have written is fairly impartial, I have also included some of the pages here in the “Humanities > History” section,