Politics Section. Nearly all of this section is drawn from academic sources, in particular books on Policy Analysis and work on Elites.
I then spoil it by writing my own thoughts on democracy and delegates, on co-operatives, and on some modern movements such as Transition Towns, partly to provoke discussion and thought on the forum (G)
The sections are:
- Policy Analysis is a well-established academic subject. Unfortunately, sometimes policy is created based on ideological or political values, however, there is also a "proper" way of doing it - analysing what is the current situation, seeing what the problems are, creating a new policy to solve the problems, carrying out an implementation, and finally examining the results, and if necessary, altering the policy to improve it.
- Modern Political Systems are also studied by academics. Every country has a political system. These are of several main types which have been extensively analysed by social scientists – Marxism, the New Right, and Neo-Pluralism. This article briefly describes them and adds some stereotypes about how their opponents see them.
- Elites and Establishments - Thius is how most organisations operate. Elitism is the belief that government by a small ruling group is normatively desirable. Of course, elites and establishments can arise in any organisation, from a football club or a darts team to a national government. Academics have studied this and developed a number of useful classifications that are relatively little known
- Democracy or Delegates or a wisdom based system ? We generally think of democracy as the best system, and that we should have more and more of it - as we have more social media, we can use that for voting on every local and national issue. As we are currently seeing, the whole process is suspect – democracy does not always give a good result !
- Cooperatives and charities (to be written)
- Development of Organisations (to be written)
- Living cooperative. How do we want to live as we get older – in a cooperative housing scheme ?
- Transition and Community. Therse are two major options for how we can better organise ourselves in future