Firstly, I think there is a spiritual something – another higher level, a finer side to people – call it what you will.
It interests me, and always has – I’ve read a lot, and found that the spiritual comes in many flavours. I've done lots of different trainings, I've looked around, and I've persevered.
I thought I would try to summarise some of the different flavours and create a “spiritual roadmap” for anyone who is confused by the competing claims of all the different teachers and teachings.
I’ve organised my thoughts into a number of sections, and then into many sub-pages, as follows:-
- Best Practice – starting to generate a “spiritual roadmap” and describe some guidelines for it
- Techniques - some of the most useful and reliable techniques drawn from spiritual and psychological teachings
- Some spiritual teachers new and old including some of the leading Indian yogis
- Discussions – I have some ideas that I need a lot help with ……..
- what would a spiritual world be like ?
- I have been reading Dante’s “Divine Comedy”– can we modernise it ?
- There are many ways forward – what works best – community ? transition movement ? are there other newer initiatives ? What is possible now ?
I think it helps to understand the history of the different movements involved in this. I generally call these Theosophy, New Age and Post-Modernism - these may not be helpful names, but they were the primary names for the movements at the time.
- An overview – from religion, to theosophy, to the New Age, to post-modernism
- Traditional esoteric spirituality. This is generally theoretical and conceptual, and I call it “theosophy” for short – It began in about 1875, and includes some of the most useful teachings and topics of interest from the Theosophical Society, the Alice A Bailey books, and Agni yoga
- New Age / Modern Spirituality – this often has effective techniques, while traditional esotericism is often speculative or theoretical. The New Age began to develop in about 1960
- Post-modernism - introduces aesthetics and critiques, and is mostly an academic movement, initially developing in French universities.
Obviously each of the above sections would almost fill a library in itself - I can only scratch the surface
Taken as a whole, I hope to form a “spiritual roadmap” – some articles give “the lie of the land” (the structure of things), others describe some of the well-trodden roads and paths, other materials give ideas about how to move forward, and what direction to go in. I hope it is helpful, and would welcome any suggested improvements.
I recently found a quote in a book that helps me with this
……. Thus, let us cautiously assemble all existing thoughts that can benignly penetrate Akasha and reach the essence of existence …….. (stanza 50, Agni Yoga “Heart”)